| Date: 08-05-24  Time: 17:25 pm
collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Recent Posts

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 219
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Search

Author Topic: Finally Buying Better PC [Thoughts]  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Atunzuman

• Citizen
  • Officer of the ARPD
Finally Buying Better PC [Thoughts]
« on: February 19, 2010, 08:10:21 am »
Well, My mom isn't going to get any PC from the internet. [Yea, makes everything harder]
So i found one that We could buy from our local store, tell me, is this worth the price?

EDIT: Damnit, link wont work here are the specs, (Its $399)

What's Included
Asus Factory-Refurbished Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor
Power cord
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader 8; Microsoft Works 9.0; Nero 8 Essentials and more
Owner's manual
Product Features
From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200
Features 4 processing cores, 1333MHz frontside bus, 4MB L2 cache and 2.33GHz processor speed per core.
6GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
750GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GeForce G100 graphics
Features up to 512MB of video memory for lush images. Supports 7.1-channel high-definition audio. HDMI port and DVI port for connecting HD components.
See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your desktop.
Built-in media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and MultiMediaCard formats for easy image transfer.
8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in wireless connectivity (802.11b/g/n)
For easy connection to the Internet without wires.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN
With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled
For a stable operating platform.
Software package included
With Adobe Acrobat Reader 8, Microsoft Works 9.0, Nero 8 Essentials and more.
Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Mouse and keyboard are not included.

Offline Chief J. Schappell

• ARFD Commissioner
  • Citizen
  • Badge-ID: #ARPD565
Re: Finally Buying Better PC [Thoughts]
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 20:42:06 pm »
Video card says it supports DX10, but I'm not sure on it's actual quality there as I can't find any specs on it.
I'd recommend upgrading to Windows 7 if you get that. Windows Vista is already considered outdated.
Mouse and keyboard aren't included. Monitor probably isn't either, or are any speakers. More than likely you have a crappy cooling system as well that is fan-based, so if this monster is a super computer in disguise, you may run into cooling issues.

Offline Jcstodds

• The Sheriff
  • [V:MP] Chief of Police
  • [R*]
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 22:58:24 pm »
  I live in the UK (noting to myself $399 =£260), and at the minute RAM prices are VERY high. So 6GB RAM alone says that it is looking to be good value.

Graphics Card: From Yahoo answers I found that the Geforce 100 is similar to the 9400gt. Comparing this to the ati x1650 which I had on my old computer using GPU review I can say its slightly better so I can give you an idea.

The graphics card should be able to play SA no problems on medium settings. Battlefield 2 on low, Age of Empires 3 on Highest, CNC 3 on medium/low. So graphics is ok but will not work out for the latest games so well.

I've done a little bit of looking around (well... ebuyer.com) and the processor ALONE is £140 ($215) new and 6GB DDR2 Ram would cost around £100 ($150) new!  (note again that the total cost of this PC is only $399 £260).

So without going into much further detail about the minor stuff (hard drive, DVD drive, software, motherboard etc) it does look like a very good value setup. Upgrading should be pretty straightforward with the graphics card but will most likely cost about $100 to get any major improvement... however the PC should be pretty future proof.

However, here is a pretty thorough review, and so some alternatives might pop up. ALways good to shop around:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/asus-essentio-cm5570-ap006/4505-3118_7-33699662.html#cnetReview
LSPD Chief Stodds

Offline Atunzuman

• Citizen
  • Officer of the ARPD
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 23:07:48 pm »
I think I just found a MUCH better PC, look tell me if this is worth the extra 100 dollars. Graphics card in Nivida Geforce 220 1GB, can run Crysis on Ultra High settings with a decent frame rate.

This powerful desktop computer features advanced NVIDIA GeForce graphics, built-in wireless networking and an Intel® Core™2 Quad processor for a smooth gaming experience.
Learn more about Intel® processors.
Information provided by Intel.

This product has been refurbished by the manufacturer. Learn more
What's Included
Asus Factory-Refurbished Essentio Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor
Power cord
Software: Adobe Acrobat Reader 8; Microsoft Works 9.0; Nero 8 Essentials and more
Owner's manual
Product Features
From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8300
Features 4 processing cores, 1333MHz frontside bus, 4MB L2 cache and 2.5GHz processor speed per core.
4 powerful processing cores
Let you get into gaming, communicating and running multiple applications simultaneously.
8GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
750GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage space and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GeForce GT220 graphics
Features up to 1GB GDDR3 video memory for lush images. Supports 7.1-channel high-definition audio. 1 HDMI and 1 DVI port for connecting HD components.
See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your desktop.
Built-in media reader
Supports Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO and MultiMediaCard formats for easy image transfer.
8 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For fast digital data transfer and easy peripheral connectivity.
Built-in wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
For connecting to the Internet wirelessly.
Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
Supports an efficient wired Internet connection.
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled
Provides a stable operating platform.
Software package included
With Adobe Acrobat Reader 8, Microsoft Works 9.0, Nero 8 Essentials and more. 60-day trial of PC-Cillin 2009 also included.
Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.
Mouse and keyboard are not included.

Offline Cane

• Citizen
  • Badge-ID: AR0964
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 23:20:44 pm »
Wait, a computer that costs $400? Nowai o-o
Served 2008~2012

Offline Jcstodds

• The Sheriff
  • [V:MP] Chief of Police
  • [R*]
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 23:50:11 pm »
  Computers come a lot cheaper where you are :D

The one you said cost $100 extra has slightly better CPU, more ram and better graphics and will last for quite a few years. If you got the money, go for it :)
LSPD Chief Stodds

Offline Wayne

• SA-MP Admin
  • Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 00:00:26 am »
  Computers come a lot cheaper where you are :D

The one you said cost $100 extra has slightly better CPU, more ram and better graphics and will last for quite a few years. If you got the money, go for it :)
yeah, i also belive girls are soon rioting because everyone cares about computers instead of their boobies, if you know what i mean.

cheap computer prices = certain boredom to girls.

information
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal